I receive several emails of people asking me what are the trends in data mining and what will be the topics of interest of tomorrow. Since I'm not myself a data mining algorithm that may predict the future, I prefer to give a list of articles that deal with data mining trends. Here is an incomplete list of articles related to the future of data mining:
- From the application point of view, the editorial from Perner, appearing in Engineering Applications of Artificial Intelligence (2006) is a recent resume of future trends in data mining.
- A very comprehensive and quite long reference is the paper from Dietterich (1997) which is already ten years old.
- The excellent paper from Fayyad and Uthurusamy contains a section about future trends in data mining. To be noted that other articles in this special issue of Communications of the ACM contain ideas about future directions for data mining.
- Several possible applications for data mining and different topics of interest are discussed in an article by Hsu.
- The technology-oriented article by Cios and Kurgan focuses on supporting data mining with XML and other languages and technologies.
[DMR blog is on holidays for two weeks and will be back on April the 23rd] Sphere: Related Content